Widely known by the traveling public as proprietor and manager of Wood Hotel, one of the leading hotels of Quincy, William Henry Wood has acquired popularity as “mein host,” being genial, accommodating and ever mindful  of the needs and comforts of his many guests.  He was July 24, 1862, in Tiverton, England, a son of Abraham and Elizabeth Ann (Treble) Wood, who were born, lived and died in England.

Attracted by the wonderful reports of the prosperity to be obtained by the working man in the United States, William Henry Wood crossed the Atlantic, and soon after landing on the American shore made his way to Galesburg, Illinois, where he remained for a while.  Coming from there to Quincy,  Mr. Wood on July 31, 1898, opened a dining room in the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Station, and operated it successfully for twelve years, gaining the good will, esteem and patronage of hosts of travelers.  In the meantime he erected the Wood Hotel, a four-story, brick and stone building, 40 by 150 feet, containing 100 rooms, all being modernly equipped and furnished, and has since conducted it on the European plan, managing it in an efficient and highly satisfactory manner.

Mr. Wood married June 2, 1892, Alice Fraser, a native of England, and they have two children, Gwendolyn Gladys and Dorothy Phyllis.  Mr. and Mrs. Wood are consistent members of the Episcopal Church.  Politically Mr. Wood is a steadfast republican.  Fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks and of the Loyal Order of Moose. Socially he belongs to the North Side Boat Club.

Source: Past and present of the city of Quincy and Adams County, Illinois, p. 1262; by William H. Collins, Cicero F. Perry, joint author; John Tillson. History of the city of Quincy, Illinois. [from old catalog]. Chicago, S. J. Clarke Pub. Co. 1905.