The History of Salem Evangelical Church

The first meeting of what would later become Salem was held on Easter Sunday 1848. The Rev. Christoph Jung, working on behalf of the German mission society, conducted the meeting. In 1877 the church moved to its present location, on the northwest corner of 9th and State, and has since undergone major renovations (1910, 1927, 1952, 1967, 1980, 1993) that have enhanced both the interior and exterior. Salem is a historic landmark in Quincy’s German Historical district.

Salem Evangelical Church