From the Quincy Whig, February 3, 1847

DIED–Near this city (Quincy, IL), on the 26th ult. Wm. H. Whipple,  aged about 17 years, youngest son of the late Col. Whipple.

From the Quincy Whig, February 10, 1847

MARRIED–In this city, on Thursday evening last, by the Rev. S.S. Parr, R. L. Doyle, Esq., editor of the LaGrange Free Press to Miss Ann Eliza Johnson, daughter of Joel Emery, Esq., of this city. With the above, came of course, a slice of excellent cake. We wish our brother chip all imaginable happiness in his change of condition.

DIED–Near Payson, on the 3rd instant,
Roger Hibard, in his 62nd year.
His spirit’s gone, and took it’s flight,
To dwell in realms of pure delight.

From the Quincy Whig, February 17, 1847

Dr. J. W. Bartlett has returned to Quincy, and may be found at his Office,  over Mr. Flagg’s book store or at his residence on Broadway

From the Quincy Whig, February 24, 1847

The River is clear of ice and rising.  We are hourly looking for the arrival of a boat.

DIED–Near Payson, Ill., on the 9th inst., Mary Jane Hibard, daughter of Roger Hibard, late deceased, in her 23rd year.

MARRIED–In LaGrange, Mo., on the 4th inst., by Elder Parr,  Mr. James Vannest to Miss Harriet Empo, both of Quincy.

DIED–In this city on Saturday, February 13, 1847, Laura Caroline, wife of Doctor W. D. Rood and daughter of James Wood, Esq., of Florida, Orange County, New York. By the death of this beloved woman a great void is made in the circle of relatives and friends who mourn their loss in what to her is doubtless great gain, for her Redeemer whom she loved in life, forsook her not in her hour of sore trials, and while Jordan’s cold waves closed around her, she experienced the preciousness of that promise, “They shall not overflow  thee.” Thus she left her sorrowing friends to mourn “not without hope”–while her happy spirit took it’s flight to it’s home beyond “that river where the wicked cease from troubling and the weary are at rest.”

From the Daily Quincy Herald, February 9, 1872

A Wooden Wedding–Last evening Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Morgan celebrated anniversary of their marriage with a “wooden wedding” at the residence of J. K. VanDoorn, Esq. on Eighth street. Wooden ware and well wishes mingled in profusion and the event was made memorable by the genuine and hearty congratulations of a host of friends.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, February 9, 1872

Poisoned–A little boy two years of age, son of Mrs. M. Epperhart who lives on State street below Third, swallowed two teaspoons of laudanum yesterday afternoon and died a few minutes afterward. The mother and child were in an adjoining house occupied by Mrs. Akers at the time of the sad occurrence. The child while playing about the room climbed up to a table and seized the bottle containing the laudanum and drank the contents unobserved. The mother noticed him with the empty bottle a minute afterwards and suspecting what he had done started in haste after Dr. Kendall. Before the doctor reached the house the child died.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, February 13, 1872

BURNED–The residence of Herman Comstock of Richfield township, with all it’s contents, was destroyed by fire on Wednesday last. The family was away at the time. The building was a one and a half story frame and was valued at $900. Unfortunately, Comstock had no insurance.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, February 14, 1872

DIED — Mrs. Laura M. Heirs, fifty-seven years of age, died yesterday morning at her residence on State between Sixth and Seventh. The funeral will take place from her late residence this morning at ten o’clock.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, February 15, 1872

Another Man in the Calaboose–S. B. Bradley was picked up drunk on the levee, pretty well frozen, early yesterday morning and was tenderly conveyed to the station and thawed out and calaboosed. Yesterday morning he was up before Barker, who read from the new Temperance Law and imposed a fine of $1 and costs. S. B. was in a bad way financially – without a dollar -but rich in promises and he was allowed to go upon taking a pledge that he would call around with $8.20.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, February 29, 1872

Juvenile Trouble–William Kelper, Frederick Liebrick and Michael Haley, three small boys, were arrested Tuesday afternoon for throwing stones at each other and playing the bad generally. Yesterday morning at Police Court, Kelper and Liebrick were discharged on payment of costs and Haley, having got the worst in the fight, was allowed to go without any qualifications.

From the Quincy Morning Whig, February 2, 1897

Licensed to Wed

  • William A. Hull of Barry and Nellie E. Behymer of Plainville.
  • Charles McLane of Quincy and Minnie Branner of Quincy.

From The Quincy Morning Whig, February 3, 1897

Death of Mrs. Schneiders

Mrs. Katherine Schneiders died at St. Vincent’s Home at 7 o’clock yesterday morning. Deceased was born in Hanover, Germany, and was 76 years of age. She came to Quincy fifty-five years ago and had lived here ever since. She leaves one son and one daughter–Charles Schneiders of Mt. Sterling and Mrs. Fred Goerlach of this city. She also leaves two sisters — Mrs. Nolkemper of Keokuk and Mrs. Charles Lutenberg of this city. The remains will be removed to the home of her son-in-law, J. O. Burlingame, 131 South Eighth street from where the funeral will take place.

From The Quincy Morning Whig, February 5, 1897

Death of William Beck

A week ago yesterday William Beck was attacked by a mad steer at his home in Ellington township and so severely injured that he died yesterday forenoon at 11:30 o’clock. From the first it was believed that he could not recover but his physician did everything in his power to save his life. Deceased was 38 years old and leaves a wife and one child.

From The Quincy Morning Whig, February 11, 1897

Death of David E. Howe

Another Old Pioneer of Quincy Gone to His Last Rest

David E. Howe, one of the pioneers of Quincy, died at his house, 1522 Broadway, at 11:45 yesterday. He had been in failing health for a long time so that his death was not altogether unexpected. The deceased was born in Lexington, Ky., in 1830 and came to Quincy in 1841 and has remained here ever since. He was a house and sign painter by occupation and many of our older residences and business houses bear evidence of his handiwork. He leaves a widow and a brother, Col. C. H. Howe of LaGrange, Mo. The funeral will take place from the late residence, 1522 Broadway, at 2:30 p.m.

From The Quincy Morning Whig, February 17, 1897

Death of An Old Resident

Mrs. Ellen A. Arrowsmith, wife of the late John Arrowsmith, died at her home on north Thirty-sixth street at 8 o’clock last evening, aged 76 years. Mrs. Arrowsmith came here with her husband in early times and for more than fifty years had lived at the old homestead where she breathed her last. She had a wide acquaintance among the older families of the city and county and they will receive the announcement of her death with very general sorrow. Mrs. Arrowsmith leaves two sons and three daughters, Frank, John D., Mrs. Marguerite Arrowsmith of St. Joseph and Anna G. and Henrietta Arrowsmith. Notice of the funeral will be given later.

From The Quincy Morning Whig, February 25, 1897

A Double Wedding

Two Cousins and Two Sisters Married Yesterday

There was a double wedding in Justice Allen’s office yesterday afternoon. Two cousins and two sisters were married and the smiling justice tied both knots in a very few minutes. The contracting parties were Philip Gilbert and Elizabeth Woods and Henry J. Gilbert and Ida M. Woods. The grooms are farmers in Burton, sturdy young fellows, and first cousins. The brides, both of them sweet and pretty girls, formerly lived in the country, but removed to the city. The grooms made the arrangements for the wedding with the Justice Tuesday and yesterday afternoon the bridal party walked into his office ready to have the ceremony performed. They were accompanied by a brother of the brides and a lady. There were no frills on the wedding. The two couples stood up before Justice Allen and in less than five minutes he performed the ceremony. Then the whole party went away smiling and happy.