From the Quincy Whig, July 7, 1847

DIED – At New Cumnock, County of Ayr, Scotland, on the 14th of February last, John Logan, aged 79 years.

ACCIDENT – The horse and bread-cart attached, of Mr. H. N.. Kendall, baker of this city, was lost in the Mississippi on Tuesday last, through the carelessness of the young man who was driving, in venturing too far from the shore. The young man narrowly escaped. The horse, cart, &c. were carried down the current.

We learn the horse, cart, &c. were recovered in Hannibal.

From the Quincy Whig, July 7, 1847

HYDROPHOBIA – A most distressing case of Hydrophobia occurred in Payson recently, which resulted in death about two weeks since. We have made some inquiry as to the particulars, and as near as we can ascertain they are about as follows: Some six or seven weeks since, a dog supposed to be rabid came into the enclosure of a Mr. Walters, living in Payson precinct, and commenced biting his hogs.  The daughter of Mr. Walters – a young lady about 18 years old – who was milking at the time, assisted by her father, attempted to drive the dog off, and in the attempt, they were both bitten by the dog. The hogs who were bitten, subsequently went mad and were killed. This, of course, alarmed the father and daughter for their own safety, and a physician was called in. No alarming symptom, however, appeared for some time after, that we can learn – but delusive hope, the virus was lurking in their veins, to yet show itself in its most hideous form. In short three weeks from the time of the bite, the hydrophobic symptoms manifested themselves in a form not to be mistaken, and notwithstanding, the best attention was bestowed upon the case – it was beyond the reach of the medical art – and the young lady died the most horrible of deaths, in about six weeks after the bite. The father, although much agitated when the daughter died, did not manifest any symptoms of hydrophobia until last week, when it was reported in town that he too, had gone mad, and, of course, is beyond all hope of cure.

These distressing cases, it seems to us, should arouse community to a sense of their danger, and, if need be, to commence a guerrilla war upon all strange dogs found lurking about their dwellings and yards. The only cure for hydrophobia that we know of, is to put the cause of it out of existence. The physician who attended in these cases, or some one well acquainted with the facts, will confer a favor upon the public by writing them out for publication.

From the Quincy Whig, July 21, 1847

MARRIED – In this county on the 15th inst. by Esq. Hedges, Alexander Arnold to Mary McEvins. “May unnumbered blessings crown their joys, and fill their arms with girls and boys.”

From the Quincy Whig, July 28, 1847

DIED – At Mendon, June 11th, 1847, of a most distressing sickness, Deacon I. W. Cooke, aged 39 years.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 4, 1872

The Former Corn Doctor In Trouble

Mrs. Dr. Hodson, the female corn doctor, who left the city a few weeks ago, to get rid of a hundred days term in the work house, was arrested on Sunday at Keokuk, charged with poisoning her husband, who formerly doctored corns in this city.  Hodson died on Saturday last, and suspicion being aroused, the authorities took possession of the body for a post-mortem examination. Mrs. Hodson upon being arrested stated that her husband died of poison, but he took it by accident. She was locked up to await results of the examination. Hodson and his wife had not lived together for a year or more previous to her arrest in this city – she had kept a den in the alley in the rear of the Post office, which was frequented by the worst characters in the town.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 20, 1872

Henry Kent, who resides in the county, was driving along Hampshire street, north side of the square, yesterday forenoon, accompanied, when his horse commenced a furious kicking up behind, broke the shaft and single tree, tore the harness, and struck Mr. Kent on the leg. The horse was found to be slightly injured when he had done kicking.

A little son of Rufus Miller, of this city, was kicked in the forehead yesterday by a horse and badly hurt. The accident took place on Mr. Miller’s premises.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 24, 1872

DIED – With feelings of sincere regret we announce the death of Mrs. M. J. Smith, wife of our well known citizen Owen Smith, which occurred Monday evening at 8 o’clock. The deceased was an estimable woman beloved by all who knew her. The funeral will take place from the St. Peter’s Church this afternoon at 2 o’clock. The friends of the family are invited.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 26, 1872

Struck By Lightning – During the rain storm Monday night on Stones’ Prairie the lightning struck the barn of Eli Foster and set it on fire. The building with its contents, two hundred bushels of corn and several tons of hay, were burned to the ground. The lightning also struck the barn of Charles Morgan in the same neighborhood, and tore away the greater portion of the roof. The building was filled with hay, but fortunately did not burn.

LARCENY – Andrew Lawson was committed to jail yesterday upon a mittimus issued by Judge Graham of LaPrairie. The prisoner is charged with stealing a revolver valued at $10 from Benjamin C. Stevens on Monday last. He was examined yesterday morning and was required to give bonds in the sum of $200 for his appearance at the next term of the County Court. Failing to secure sureties he was brought to this city and turned over to the Sheriff.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 30, 1872

OBITUARY – The friends of Dr. Charles Brown, of Mendon, in this city were pained by the announcement of his death, which occurred at his home Saturday. Deceased had grown up in Adams County, had an extensive acquaintance and by his many generous and manly qualities had endeared himself to a large circle of friends. He was the son of our old friend, Dr. Wm. J. Brown, of Mendon, to whom and all other relatives the sympathies of the public are extended in their great bereavement. The funeral of deceased took place yesterday at Mendon under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 31, 1872

SUNSTROKE – Martin Alder, while at work in the field in Melrose township, Monday, fell insensible from the effects of the heat. He was for several hours in a critical condition, but it was thought yesterday that he would recover.

From the Quincy Journal, July 3, 1897

Death Of A Babe

William, the 9-month son of Mrs. William Hall of 726 Ohio street, died at 8 o’clock this morning of spinal trouble after about a week’s illness.

A City Nuisance

No matter how hot the weather may be to-morrow Eddie Nolan and his neighbors will have to keep their windows closed. Why? Well, bless you, by to-morrow the pond will have green scum on it by that time and the smell – oh, dear! The pond is in an alley on Fourth street between Maiden Lane and State street and it is a daisy of a pond, too. It is 23 feet long, 4 1/2 wide, 11 inches deep and as soon as the water gets a bit old it smells like the double distilled essence of Limburger cheese.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 8, 1897

Married In Quincy

Mr. Levi J. Cupp, of Edina, and Miss Frances Howard, who were married at the residence of the bride’s mother, 1115 Hampshire street, at 12:30 on last Wednesday, Rev. T. H. Tatlow, of Edina, performing the ceremony, returned to Edina the same evening, where they will make their home for the present, and where they have received the congratulations and best wishes of their many friends. The bride was at one time a resident of Edina.


The Excessive Heat Causes High Mortality Among Infants
The Names of the Babes That Have Passed Away

This warm weather is especially trying on the little children, and the rate of mortality among them during the summer months is always higher. During this week one undertaker alone has laid six babies away to rest, death being caused by diseases due to excessive heat. There are seven undertaking establishments in the city. Statistics of this city and those of others likewise, prove that the general rate of mortality is higher during the warm weather than in the cool season. Accidents are more numerous during the open season of the year which fact accounts for a number of deaths.

In Greenmount yesterday the remains of little John Otto Bergman, who died Monday at 845 South Sixth street, were laid to rest. The boy was aged 2 years and 7 months and spinal meningitis caused death.

Baby Graves, colored, aged 8 months and 8 days, died yesterday at 427 South Seventh street of intermittent high fever followed by convulsions. Interment occurred at Woodland yesterday.

The 10 month old son of H. Hessing of Lind street, between Eleventh and Twelfth, died Thursday evening of cholera infantum and was buried this morning in St. Boniface Cemetery.

Annie, the 10 month old child of Henry Koenig, of 922 Cherry street, died yesterday of cholera infantum and was buried in St. Boniface Cemetery this afternoon.

Johnnie, the 7 month old infant of Mr. and Mrs. Kroencke, died at the home of his parents, 1404 Jefferson, Monday evening of bronchitis and the remains were buried yesterday afternoon.

A baby named Baird, aged 1 week, died this morning at 316 South Fifth street, and was buried this afternoon.

The 7 month old son, Frank, of Andrew and Annie Maul, died at 8 o’clock this morning at 1016 Oak street, the family residence.

The 7 month old son of George Volmer of 712 Madison street, died last night . Funeral notice later.

Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Wegs mourn the loss of their infant son, Herbert, 11 days old, who died last evening.

From the Daily Quincy Herald, July 10, 1897

Where Is John E. Dietrich?

The Solicitor Missing From His Home, 627 Lind Street, Since Yesterday

John E. Dietrich, manager here for the Grand Union Tea Company of Peoria, Illinois, has been missing from his home, No. 627 Lind street, since yesterday noon, and his family are greatly concerned over the mystery. Dietrich is from Freeport, Illinois, and is said to be a man of good habits. Prior to the arrival of his family here, he boarded at 706 North Fifth street.  On leaving home yesterday, he told his wife that he would make some collections on the South side. He failed to return up to midnight, and the police station was notified. Up to the afternoon no clue to his whereabouts had been discovered. He is 45 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, dark complexioned and dark hair, and wore a dark moustache, black coat, gray trousers and a straw hat. He is said to have shownd espondency lately over the decline of business.

Three Deaths

John O’Brien, aged 33 years, died last night at St. Mary’s Hospital after a long illness. He had been in this city three years during all of which time he had been a patient at the hospital. He was unmarried and leaves no relatives here.

The remains of the aged mother of Mrs. August Valentine of 516 Maiden Lane were laid to rest to-day. Death occurred Monday from old age.

Mrs. Lucinda Carr, colored, died at 1 o’clock this morning in Brown’s alley, aged 48 years, 2 months and 2 days. She was a housewife.